As women we want to date and we want to end up in a serious relationship, it’s just conditioned into so many of us. We want to be happy and have that white picket fence so bad that we’ll do nearly anything for it. So we often ignore our instincts and go for what we think is right when it comes to dating. Oftentimes this is the kiss of death!
We want to land the right guy and so we get out there and date whoever we can find. We don’t want to be alone or be the last to get married, and we often settle. The truth is that we often know what we want or what’s right, but we tend to ignore that gut feeling when we really shouldn’t. Here are the five biggest mistakes that women make in dating, and if you can avoid them then you have a much better shot at long term happiness.
1. Trying too hard: You don’t have to laugh your head off at every joke he has. You don’t have to listen so attentively to him that it hurts. You don’t have to try to be somebody that you’re not. In the end you just don’t have to try too hard. Sure you want to put your best foot forward, but not if it means compromising who you are and what you’re about. Be yourself, be cordial and courteous, but also scale it back a bit or it comes across as fake and contrived.
2. Not being selective enough: You do not want to be the woman who dates anybody. You do not want to be the woman who ends up in the same stale relationship with the same loser that ends up always hurting you. Get selective, be confident, and stop dating anybody just for the sake of not being alone. It’s okay to be alone and to be a little picky. This will ensure that you end up with the right person and that you show some self respect in the process as well.
3. Not trusting your instinct: You may feel that it’s not a good match but you go on the date anyhow. You may feel guilty if somebody wants to set you up and therefore waste your time and that of the other person. You may know deep down when something doesn’t feel right and yet you ignore it. Always trust your instinct! If your gut tells you that something isn’t right then follow it as your intuition is often so very right and we just don’t want to believe it.
4. Not speaking up or letting the other person take the lead: We’re so conditioned to believe that we can’t take the lead that we often let the man do all of the work. Don’t fall into this trap! Speak up if you need to and don’t worry about coming across as confident. The right man will appreciate that and embrace it, so quit sitting back and taking whatever you are given and do something for yourself for a change.
5. Getting physical way too early on: Do not get intimate with him on the first couple of dates. Don’t give him everything, physically and emotionally on that first date or two. Save something for later on or else he will only focus on the physical. You will build a bad reputation for yourself and may never get the relationship that you want. So save something for later on and take the time to actually get to know this person first—it really will benefit you!