Going on a first date can be overwhelming, exciting, and full of anxiety all at the same time. You want to make a good first impression, but you aren’t always sure how. You hear a lot about what you should do on a first date—but what about what NOT to do on a first date?
What you need to avoid on a first date can be equally as important as what you should do. The reason being that you want to make a good first impression, and if you partake in certain behaviors it can be an instant turn off. So if you find yourself wondering what makes for a dating “no no”, here is a list of tips to avoid doing to make for a successful first date. Be in tune to this and you can enjoy a successful first date!
1. Don’t be on your cell phone: If you are busy texting or talking on your cell phone it is rude in any form. It also comes across as you being off limits or at least uninterested in this person before you. Put your phone away and really try to concentrate on the date—the chats can wait until afterwards!
2. Don’t go in with a preconceived notion: If you go in thinking something about this other person or assuming that it’s going to be a bad date, then you put out negativity. Don’t assume anything, don’t predict how things will go, just wait and see for yourself. If you try to keep an open mind it may lead you to a better date than you had anticipated.
3. Don’t meet in a home or private location: You always want to think about safety when you’re meeting up on that first date. Even if you think that this is a safe person or that they couldn’t possibly bring you any harm, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Avoid going to their house or anywhere private or secluded. Keep it public and keep it safe.
4. Don’t get drunk: Nobody likes a drunk, especially on that all important first date. If you want to avoid being somebody that gets a bad reputation, then do NOT get drunk on that first date. Know your limits and keep your wits about you because first impressions are everything. A drink or two tops should be it!
5. Don’t go in expecting too much physically speaking: Do not go home with them on the first date. Also don’t go in expecting too much in a physical manner. You don’t want to get a bad reputation in this area, nor do you want the other person to think you are in this only for one thing. The physical relationship can come later, but take your time in this area and it will pay off.
6. Don’t mention your ex or previous relationships: They do not want to hear about what went wrong in your dating past. They don’t want to hear you talk about your ex or what a terrible relationship it was. Save this talk for your friends and focus on the present and future!
7. Don’t talk too much and not listen enough: Just as you want to be sure to listen to the other person, you also want to be sure that you don’t talk over them. This can be an instant turn off because you come across as self-centered, so don’t let that happen. Listen more, and balance out how much you talk!
8. Don’t be late and make the person wait for you: It’s rude to make them wait for you and it shows that you are inconsiderate. Be on time and prompt and don’t make them think that you are only about what makes you happy. Being late can be a sign that you don’t care so avoid it at all costs.
9. Don’t set up a date doing something you aren’t comfortable with: If there’s a red flag or your gut is telling you no, then listen to it. Your instincts are usually right and if you don’t feel comfortable then don’t go on the date. Always listen to your instincts, even if you show up for the date and something doesn’t feel right. Be safe and mindful of what your instinct is trying to tell you!
10. Don’t try to be somebody that you’re not—it always backfires: Pretending to be something or someone that you are not is never a good idea. It sets up a false expectation and it doesn’t lead to happiness. They will not respect you when they find out the truth, and you can’t possibly build a good foundation off of lies so avoid them!