Online dating can be a wonderful experience, but you have to remember certain precautions to make sure that the person is not deceiving you. Flirting in person is easy, but flirting online is a little different. Here are some tips to guide you.
- Listen attentively to what your potential partner is saying and if something sounds suspicious, then most likely he or she is not saying the truth. Trust on your instincts and if something triggers a red flag during communications, it is an indication to move on.
- Do not give out your personal information too early. If your partner is an honest person, he or she would understand this and act the same.
- Try doing a background information check of the person you like. If your date is an honest person it’ll be all right as honest people don’t hide the truth.
- Keep in mind that there are people out there who could lie about their marital status, physical appearance, intentions, so be alert at all times.
- Be careful of people who want to meet up with you and pressure you to do so. Another warning sign is if you notice conflicting information between conversations. This is a huge red flag.
- If somebody is bothering you by sending a multitude of e-mails or trying to contact you in person, stop communicating with him or her. Do your best to prevent any further harassment.
- Be cautious when you are asked for money either for a ticket to come to your place from another country or in the exchange of his/her private information. This is maybe the first sign you are communicating with a scammer. It doesn’t mean that each user who discusses finance issues with you tries to deceive you, but before transmitting your money to anyone make sure this is a real and reliable person.
- Check the online profile of your would-be partner; online scammers always create hundreds of accounts with fake photos and data.
- The pace at which your relationship develops is a simple way to tell a scammer. If someone is only flirting with you to get the money you will soon know about it. Scammers usually ask for cash as soon as there’s such an opportunity. The courtship period should be long and gradually evolving for the two of you to get to know each other better.
Remember safety risks that you must be aware of when communicating with people through an online dating service. When you know what to look for, you can be more prepared to find that special someone and not that fake someone.