First dates can be pretty nerve-racking – we fear that we would say the wrong thing and be rejected. According to dating experts, the worst thing that can ruin a first date and make a bad first impression is a poor conversation. You need ice breakers and questions to avoid awkward silence and provoke thought and laugh.
Here are 25 questions that make great starters and can help win your date over within the first few minutes of a charming conversation.
1. IF YOU COULD GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW, WHERE WOULD YOU GO?
This question will help you learn what’s most appealing to your date – do they love trips or have no desire to leave their hometown ever?
2. WHAT’S SOMETHING I WOULDN’T GUESS ABOUT YOU?
This is a great ice-breaker because it’s a sign you’d like to know your date better while still giving them the freedom to reveal what they want to share.
3. WHAT ARE YOU MOST PASSIONATE ABOUT?
This question lets you get a sense of what they feel strongly about.
4. WHAT’S YOUR DREAM JOB?
This question is incredibly telling. What your date is passionate about? Is it money, impact, enjoyment? Each of these explanations reveals something about their character.
5. WHAT SORT OF THINGS MAKE YOU LAUGH OUT LOUD?
Talking about the things that make you both fall into a fit of laugh is a great way to get the conversation flowing.
6. IF WORK WAS NO LONGER AN OPTION AND YOU HAD PLENTY OF MONEY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO ALL DAY?
If they’d watch every television series ever created, and you’re an active person who can’t stand to be indoors, well, that shows you might not be super compatible.
7. WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT LIVING HERE?
You get to talk about local places you like, see what you have in common. Many second date ideas can be born from this question.
8. WHAT’S BEEN THE MOST SIGNIFICANT OR BEST YEAR OF YOUR LIFE SO FAR?
This is a great way to make your conversation thoughtful and meaningful, and learn what’s most meaningful and important to your date.
9. WHAT’S ONE THING YOU DID AS A KID THAT YOU MISS MOST TODAY?
It’s fun to see what you might have had in common as kids.
10. WHO DO YOU TALK TO THE MOST?
You’ll learn about the people closest to them in life.
11. IN A NEW CITY, WHAT ATTRACTION DO YOU HAVE TO VISIT FIRST?
This opens the door for conversation relating to history, religious perspectives, art, and culture. If you’re crazy about museums and monuments, ask if they are history buffs too. Let one question lead to another.
12. WHAT ARE 5 THINGS YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH BEFORE YOU DIE?
You’ll get a major insight of their goals and priorities in life.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE DISH TO COOK?
Learn about their culinary skills, what food they like, if they’re into healthy cooking. Food is always a safe topic of conversation—and an endless one, too.
14. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SPORTS?
If sports are big in your life, this will take you into a ton of subtopics. And if they don’t care, then you can decide whether it’s a slight turn off or a deal-breaker.
15. WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVOURITE TV SHOWS?
Their interests are reflected in what they like to watch on a daily basis. Do they only watch educational shows, news or talk shows? Are they absolute reality show junkies? You’ll also find out how much time they spend on the couch.
16. WHAT KIND OF BOOKS DO YOU LIKE TO READ?
Are they on the road to self-improvement and solely reads to better themselves and their career, or do they read for pleasure? This is a good way to know what their intellectual interests and passions are.
17. WHO HAS BEEN THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSON IN YOUR LIFE?
This will tell you more about their family and close relationships they have with friends.”
18. DO YOU STILL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH CHILDHOOD FRIENDS?
This question reveals how they value relationships and loyalty.
19. IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND AND COULD TAKE THREE THINGS WITH YOU, WHAT WOULD THEY BE?
You’ll find out what’s most valuable to them and the significance of those items.
20. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE ANIMAL?
Light-hearted questions like this one can stir up memories from their childhood. It’ll also let you know if your date is a pet lover.
21. WHAT’S THE MOST SPONTANEOUS THING YOU’VE EVER DONE?
This is a great question to see how flexible your date is. You can see if your personalities and interests jive, too.
22. HOW DO YOU LIKE TO SPEND YOUR MORNINGS?
A morning routine is hugely revealing. Does your date wake up, get ready, and rush to work? Do they wake up, read a newspaper, meditate, make a gourmet breakfast before heading out the door? These scenarios reveal incredibly different people and personality types.
23. HOW DO YOU LIKE TO SPEND YOUR NIGHTS?
Like the previous question, this one clues you in on how they spend most of their time and whether you’ll enjoy the same activities.
24. WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU WERE BETTER AT?
Ask your date what skills they want to acquire in their career and life in general. If they are ambitious, that can be a major turn on.
25. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD MEMORY?
You want positive vibes only on a date. By posing this question, you get them thinking about some of the best times in their lives.
Starting a conversation with these question would not only help you to break the ice, but also will let you to find out more about your future partner. And if you are still looking for a perfect person to date, install Meetville app on Android and iOS right now and go on a date with local singles!
Latest posts by Grace Cox (see all)
- Everything You Need to Know About Interracial Dating - May 21, 2020
- 10 Great Long-Distance Date Ideas to Keep the Spark Alive - April 17, 2020
- 3 Must-Know Tips For Kissing a Girl On The First Date - March 18, 2020