You’ve set up the first date and you want it to be a great one. You know that there is something special about this person, and you feel that there could be some great potential here. Though you may feel that you are ready to take things on with them, you want to be sure that you go in with the right attitude to get things heading down the right path. Though it may not always be easy, it’s imperative to go in with the idea that you don’t want anybody to waste their time.
The first and most important thing to do to keep things heading in the right direction is to be yourself. If you try to be somebody that you are not, then this is going to waste their time and yours. Being true to yourself means that you are ready to see what happens ahead all. You aren’t hiding behind some made up persona, nor are you trying to be something that you think they want you to be. They will figure you out, and they won’t respect you—and this is therefore a surefire way to end things before they even start! You do want to impress on the all important first date and that means that you own up to who you are to make things work.
If you want to keep things neutral and ensure that you have a better chance at long-term success, then avoiding the time wasters is a big part of this. Here we look at what can lead to wasting time and therefore these are how you kick things off well and keep them going strong. You will find that these work tremendously well in the long run and they can be utilized early on!
1. Try to have some sort of initial conversation before you meet for the first time: If you take some of the anxiety out of the equation then it can set for a much better tone. Try to talk to each other before you meet for the first time. You get some of the preliminary details out of the way and you set things up for a much better future. You can take the time to get to know one another and then the first date will run much smoother, because you truly feel comfortable around each other. Try it and see how this one simple step can make for a much better first meeting that makes the best use of everyone’s time!
2. Be clear what you are looking for in a relationship: Though you most certainly don’t ever want to lay all your cards on the table, you do want to be clear here. If you sense that they are looking for different things than you, then address it. If you feel that they are searching out for a different relationship, then squash this early on. Be clear about what you want and it will set you up for success and ensure that you find a true match.
3. Talk honesty and openly, and try not to hold back if you can: Be yourself but also talk honestly about what you want and who you are. Don’t hold back, though you also want to balance this to ensure that it’s not too much too early. Be open and honest, be ready to converse, and above all be sure that they get a true depiction of who you are for this will help you to find a better match for who you are and what you’re all about.
4. Don’t dwell too much on the past or focus too hard on the future: You don’t want to waste their time talking about the past or how you’re been hurt. You also don’t want to push too hard about the type of future that you want. Live in this moment and try to get them to do the same. There is plenty of time later on to get to know about each other and your past, but now is about you talking to one another in the present.
5. Go in with an open mind and stay away from any preconceived notions: Try to see this for the situation that it is, no more and no less. Go in with an open mind and ready for anything. Don’t go in with assumptions about each other or what they want. Talk it up and get to know one another and this will tell you all that you need to know. Forget about the preconceived notions for they are huge time wasters that never get you anywhere!
Though you may very well find that there are times when you struggle, find that fine balance where you don’t waste your time. You also don’t want to waste their time so own up to who you are and see how this lays the foundation that you want moving forward into the future beyond that first date.